Sharing school tales before the big move
Last updated at 13:33, Friday, 23 September 2011
THE old Vickerstown School on Walney is about to move after more than a century and has invited the community to share memories and say goodbye to the old building.
In October the children will start lessons in a new school in nearby Mill Lane but today from 2pm to 5pm the old school throws open its doors to visitors.
There will be a range of old photographs and memorabilia on show to former pupils and members of the public.
Lessons had started in a tin building until the school was formerly opened in August 1902.
The school site was bought from the Isle of Walney Estates Company in 1900.
First published at 13:19, Friday, 23 September 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Cheetah is spotted among young Barrow fun runners
- Cheetah is spotted among young Barrow fun runners
- Barrow dad stays positive despite losing daughter and now diagnosed with incurable disease (12 comments)
- Barrow pensioner lost feeling in his hand after fall (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Walney Gala (2 comments)
- Walney Fun Run - slideshow and results
- Drivers in Cumbria warned of delays as Tour de France passes county
- Vandal attack on daughter’s grave devastates Barrow couple (4 comments)
- Walney residents fear losing homes as sea defence delayed again (1 comment)
- Barrow school greenhouse made from plastic bottles
- Walney School set to become a sponsored academy
- Child hospitalised after car rolls onto its roof in Barrow crash
- Walney pupils praised for their WW1 memorial garden
- Go-ahead given to construct sea defences on battered Barrow coast
- Walney windfarm extenstion to create hundreds of jobs
- End in sight for motorists after Walney bridge repair work
- Walney bridge closure roadworks under way (5 comments)
- Urgent action called for in Walney erosion battle (2 comments)
- Cumbria first as Barrow school takes in two-year-olds (1 comment)
- Warning to walkers after needles found on Barrow beach (1 comment)
- Hundreds join mission to make Barrow girl’s Disney dream come true
- ‘Love of learning’ earns praise from Ofsted for Barrow infant school
- Ancient antlers and medieval channels uncovered in Barrow storms
- Birds face breeding problems after Walney island site hit by floods (1 comment)
- Crew tackle fire in the open on Walney
- Walney residents braced for high tide as work on sea defences stalls