Sharing school tales before the big move
Last updated at 13:33, Friday, 23 September 2011
THE old Vickerstown School on Walney is about to move after more than a century and has invited the community to share memories and say goodbye to the old building.
In October the children will start lessons in a new school in nearby Mill Lane but today from 2pm to 5pm the old school throws open its doors to visitors.
There will be a range of old photographs and memorabilia on show to former pupils and members of the public.
Lessons had started in a tin building until the school was formerly opened in August 1902.
The school site was bought from the Isle of Walney Estates Company in 1900.
First published at 13:19, Friday, 23 September 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Teenager needed stitches after Walney assault, man arrested
- Teenager needed stitches after Walney assault, man arrested
- Thomas The Tank Engine’s birthday has special significance for Cumbria (1 comment)
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue
- Volunteers pick up 328kg of litter from Walney beauty spot
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Walney pupils rally round to tackle grot spot
- ‘Grassland pioneers’ to be attracted by Walney dunes work
- Walney seagull enjoys Moroccan holiday (2 comments)
- Antlers found on Walney beach could be up to 20,000 years old - expert (3 comments)
- Tributes to Walney pensioner (2 comments)
- Barrow mum took £19k dream wedding cash from daughter (8 comments)
- ‘Bronze age’ stag’s head is a find for former Walney pub landlord
- Barrow police still investigating rape allegation
- Making others happy always comes first for selfless Barrow boy
- Barrow summer ice show (2 comments)
- Barrow Police appeal after horses set loose on Walney
- ‘Son would be dead if we’d stuck with FGH’ - Barrow mum (13 comments)
- Lifesaving volunteer team put forward for community award
- Hopes high that road will stop erosion splitting Walney in two (4 comments)
- Permission granted for Walney windfarm development (7 comments)
- Beached buoy removed from Walney (4 comments)
- Large buoy washed up on Walney
- Delight as work starts on Walney sea defence (1 comment)
- Barrow OAP claims pavement remains a trip hazard (3 comments)
- Staffie muzzle order after fatal Barrow dog attack (26 comments)