Sharing school tales before the big move
Last updated at 13:33, Friday, 23 September 2011
THE old Vickerstown School on Walney is about to move after more than a century and has invited the community to share memories and say goodbye to the old building.
In October the children will start lessons in a new school in nearby Mill Lane but today from 2pm to 5pm the old school throws open its doors to visitors.
There will be a range of old photographs and memorabilia on show to former pupils and members of the public.
Lessons had started in a tin building until the school was formerly opened in August 1902.
The school site was bought from the Isle of Walney Estates Company in 1900.
First published at 13:19, Friday, 23 September 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Large buoy washed up on Walney
- Large buoy washed up on Walney
- Delight as work starts on Walney sea defence (1 comment)
- Barrow OAP claims pavement remains a trip hazard (3 comments)
- Staffie muzzle order after fatal Barrow dog attack (26 comments)
- Steps taken in bid to boost Barrow school in special measures
- Walney Island’s much-loved wildlife haven is set for a spruce-up
- Islands could be built in Morecambe Bay as part of Barrow to Heysham tunnel project (3 comments)
- Cumbria suicide dad left cash for loved ones
- Barrow Police hunt Walney chocolate thief
- Barrow Police and coastguard respond to incident near Walney Airfield
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (29 comments)
- Cumbria coast oil spill unlikely to cause problems - expert
- Volunteers old and very young make a clean sweep of Walney beach
- Demands for action over asbestos fear in Barrow (2 comments)
- Cheetah is spotted among young Barrow fun runners
- Barrow dad stays positive despite losing daughter and now diagnosed with incurable disease (12 comments)
- Barrow pensioner lost feeling in his hand after fall (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Walney Gala (2 comments)
- Walney Fun Run - slideshow and results
- Drivers in Cumbria warned of delays as Tour de France passes county
- Vandal attack on daughter’s grave devastates Barrow couple (4 comments)
- Walney residents fear losing homes as sea defence delayed again (1 comment)
- Barrow school greenhouse made from plastic bottles
- Walney School set to become a sponsored academy
- Child hospitalised after car rolls onto its roof in Barrow crash