Way of the dragon inspires designer
Published at 16:42, Monday, 10 December 2012
ADRAGONS’ Den star is the inspiration behind a design student’s latest project.
Andrew Bell, of Barrow, is among a group of students from the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) who have been invited to design a bathroom of the future.
The 26-year-old BA (Hons) interior design student is working on the ‘Bath to the Future’ challenge, sponsored by luxury bathroom specialist, James Hargreaves Bathrooms, that has branches across the region.
The undergraduate is hoping business magnate and Dragons’ Den panelist, Hilary Devey, will inspire him to glory in the creative project.
Two students will receive cash prizes, and the winning entry in the practical section is set to be built full size in James Hargreaves Bathrooms’ flagship showroom in Burnley.
Mr Bell said: “I have decided to model my design around Hilary Devey because she is a true inspiration right here in the North West.
“I am trying to capture her strong personality in the general lay-out and design by going for a theme based on movie star glamour and great style.”
Nigel-Bruce Simpkins, course leader of the BA (Hons) in interior design course at UCLan said: “The ‘Bath to the Future project is truly inspirational and we are delighted to be involved. There is nothing better than a ‘live’ project to get the creative juices flowing and the students are buzzing.
“We have visited the James Hargreaves Bathrooms showroom in Burnley and it is very impressive indeed.
“If the standard of entry matches the level of enthusiasm then we could see some great work.
“The prospect of one of the designs eventually going on show to the public is just fantastic.”
James Hargreaves Bathrooms has already allocated a special room for the winning entry and provided every competing student with a list of top suppliers from which they can select all sanitary ware, tiles, brassware and accessories.
Gordon Rothwell, managing director at James Hargreaves Bathrooms, said: “We see this as a chance for education and business to come together and are excited to see just what the interior designers of tomorrow will produce.
“The drive and desire of the students was very clear when they visited our showroom and, who knows, one of them could even end up working with us full time.”
The Bath to the Future presentation evening has been scheduled to take place in January.
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Making others happy always comes first for selfless Barrow boy
- Making others happy always comes first for selfless Barrow boy
- Barrow summer ice show (2 comments)
- Barrow Police appeal after horses set loose on Walney
- ‘Son would be dead if we’d stuck with FGH’ - Barrow mum (13 comments)
- Lifesaving volunteer team put forward for community award
- Hopes high that road will stop erosion splitting Walney in two (4 comments)
- Permission granted for Walney windfarm development (7 comments)
- Beached buoy removed from Walney (4 comments)
- Large buoy washed up on Walney
- Delight as work starts on Walney sea defence (1 comment)
- Barrow OAP claims pavement remains a trip hazard (3 comments)
- Staffie muzzle order after fatal Barrow dog attack (26 comments)
- Steps taken in bid to boost Barrow school in special measures
- Walney Island’s much-loved wildlife haven is set for a spruce-up
- Islands could be built in Morecambe Bay as part of Barrow to Heysham tunnel project (4 comments)
- Cumbria suicide dad left cash for loved ones
- Barrow Police hunt Walney chocolate thief
- Barrow Police and coastguard respond to incident near Walney Airfield
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (29 comments)
- Cumbria coast oil spill unlikely to cause problems - expert
- Volunteers old and very young make a clean sweep of Walney beach
- Demands for action over asbestos fear in Barrow (2 comments)
- Cheetah is spotted among young Barrow fun runners
- Barrow dad stays positive despite losing daughter and now diagnosed with incurable disease (12 comments)
- Barrow pensioner lost feeling in his hand after fall (1 comment)