Walney School girl Eleanor’s poster in district final
Last updated at 16:49, Monday, 03 December 2012
ASK most people for their most fervent wish and there is a fair chance the majority would answer world peace.
But as nice a sentiment as that is, only a select few people genuinely have an opportunity to influence world affairs.
Eleanor Harvey – a year nine student at Walney School – is gradually getting closer than most to doing just that.
She is the first student within the Furness Lions Club’s catchment area to make it into the district final of a peace poster competition.
The worldwide competition has been running for 25 years and in March she will compete against 12 others in the UK and Ireland final. Should she succeed there then an international final and lucrative bursary courtesy of Lions International awaits.
The theme of this year’s event, which is only open to children aged between 11 and 13, was ‘imagine peace’ and Furness Lions Club president Ted Rockley said Eleanor’s entry was a stand-out.
First published at 16:32, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow council to recover costs of beached car removal (1 comment)
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- PHOTOS: Walney Energy for Life fun run attracts hundreds of runners
- Families ready to tackle 5k Walney run
- Hundreds of people are ready for fifth Walney fun run
- Safety concerns over car abandoned on Walney beach (12 comments)
- Club hoping to buy bowling green as Walney pub goes on market (4 comments)
- Teenager needed stitches after Walney assault, man arrested
- Thomas The Tank Engine’s birthday has special significance for Cumbria (1 comment)
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue (1 comment)
- Volunteers pick up 328kg of litter from Walney beauty spot
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Walney pupils rally round to tackle grot spot
- ‘Grassland pioneers’ to be attracted by Walney dunes work
- Walney seagull enjoys Moroccan holiday (2 comments)
- Antlers found on Walney beach could be up to 20,000 years old - expert (3 comments)
- Tributes to Walney pensioner (2 comments)
- Barrow mum took £19k dream wedding cash from daughter (8 comments)
- ‘Bronze age’ stag’s head is a find for former Walney pub landlord
- Barrow police still investigating rape allegation
- Making others happy always comes first for selfless Barrow boy
- Barrow summer ice show (2 comments)
- Barrow Police appeal after horses set loose on Walney
- ‘Son would be dead if we’d stuck with FGH’ - Barrow mum (13 comments)