Walney School girl Eleanor’s poster in district final
Last updated at 16:49, Monday, 03 December 2012
ASK most people for their most fervent wish and there is a fair chance the majority would answer world peace.
But as nice a sentiment as that is, only a select few people genuinely have an opportunity to influence world affairs.
Eleanor Harvey – a year nine student at Walney School – is gradually getting closer than most to doing just that.
She is the first student within the Furness Lions Club’s catchment area to make it into the district final of a peace poster competition.
The worldwide competition has been running for 25 years and in March she will compete against 12 others in the UK and Ireland final. Should she succeed there then an international final and lucrative bursary courtesy of Lions International awaits.
The theme of this year’s event, which is only open to children aged between 11 and 13, was ‘imagine peace’ and Furness Lions Club president Ted Rockley said Eleanor’s entry was a stand-out.
First published at 16:32, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Large buoy washed up on Walney
- Large buoy washed up on Walney
- Delight as work starts on Walney sea defence (1 comment)
- Barrow OAP claims pavement remains a trip hazard (3 comments)
- Staffie muzzle order after fatal Barrow dog attack (26 comments)
- Steps taken in bid to boost Barrow school in special measures
- Walney Island’s much-loved wildlife haven is set for a spruce-up
- Islands could be built in Morecambe Bay as part of Barrow to Heysham tunnel project (3 comments)
- Cumbria suicide dad left cash for loved ones
- Barrow Police hunt Walney chocolate thief
- Barrow Police and coastguard respond to incident near Walney Airfield
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (29 comments)
- Cumbria coast oil spill unlikely to cause problems - expert
- Volunteers old and very young make a clean sweep of Walney beach
- Demands for action over asbestos fear in Barrow (2 comments)
- Cheetah is spotted among young Barrow fun runners
- Barrow dad stays positive despite losing daughter and now diagnosed with incurable disease (12 comments)
- Barrow pensioner lost feeling in his hand after fall (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Walney Gala (2 comments)
- Walney Fun Run - slideshow and results
- Drivers in Cumbria warned of delays as Tour de France passes county
- Vandal attack on daughter’s grave devastates Barrow couple (4 comments)
- Walney residents fear losing homes as sea defence delayed again (1 comment)
- Barrow school greenhouse made from plastic bottles
- Walney School set to become a sponsored academy
- Child hospitalised after car rolls onto its roof in Barrow crash