Walney School girl Eleanor’s poster in district final
Last updated at 16:49, Monday, 03 December 2012
ASK most people for their most fervent wish and there is a fair chance the majority would answer world peace.
But as nice a sentiment as that is, only a select few people genuinely have an opportunity to influence world affairs.
Eleanor Harvey – a year nine student at Walney School – is gradually getting closer than most to doing just that.
She is the first student within the Furness Lions Club’s catchment area to make it into the district final of a peace poster competition.
The worldwide competition has been running for 25 years and in March she will compete against 12 others in the UK and Ireland final. Should she succeed there then an international final and lucrative bursary courtesy of Lions International awaits.
The theme of this year’s event, which is only open to children aged between 11 and 13, was ‘imagine peace’ and Furness Lions Club president Ted Rockley said Eleanor’s entry was a stand-out.
First published at 16:32, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (21 comments)
- Cumbria coast oil spill unlikely to cause problems - expert
- Volunteers old and very young make a clean sweep of Walney beach
- Demands for action over asbestos fear in Barrow (2 comments)
- Cheetah is spotted among young Barrow fun runners
- Barrow dad stays positive despite losing daughter and now diagnosed with incurable disease (12 comments)
- Barrow pensioner lost feeling in his hand after fall (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Walney Gala (2 comments)
- Walney Fun Run - slideshow and results
- Drivers in Cumbria warned of delays as Tour de France passes county
- Vandal attack on daughter’s grave devastates Barrow couple (4 comments)
- Walney residents fear losing homes as sea defence delayed again (1 comment)
- Barrow school greenhouse made from plastic bottles
- Walney School set to become a sponsored academy
- Child hospitalised after car rolls onto its roof in Barrow crash
- Walney pupils praised for their WW1 memorial garden
- Go-ahead given to construct sea defences on battered Barrow coast
- Walney windfarm extenstion to create hundreds of jobs
- End in sight for motorists after Walney bridge repair work
- Walney bridge closure roadworks under way (5 comments)
- Urgent action called for in Walney erosion battle (2 comments)
- Cumbria first as Barrow school takes in two-year-olds (1 comment)
- Warning to walkers after needles found on Barrow beach (1 comment)
- Hundreds join mission to make Barrow girl’s Disney dream come true
- ‘Love of learning’ earns praise from Ofsted for Barrow infant school