Walney School girl Eleanor’s poster in district final
Last updated at 16:49, Monday, 03 December 2012
ASK most people for their most fervent wish and there is a fair chance the majority would answer world peace.
But as nice a sentiment as that is, only a select few people genuinely have an opportunity to influence world affairs.
Eleanor Harvey – a year nine student at Walney School – is gradually getting closer than most to doing just that.
She is the first student within the Furness Lions Club’s catchment area to make it into the district final of a peace poster competition.
The worldwide competition has been running for 25 years and in March she will compete against 12 others in the UK and Ireland final. Should she succeed there then an international final and lucrative bursary courtesy of Lions International awaits.
The theme of this year’s event, which is only open to children aged between 11 and 13, was ‘imagine peace’ and Furness Lions Club president Ted Rockley said Eleanor’s entry was a stand-out.
First published at 16:32, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Dedicated green team help to keep Walney beaches pristine
- Dedicated green team help to keep Walney beaches pristine
- Island-hopping warden thrilled by move to reserve in Barrow
- Report reveals how wind and waves will change Walney Island (1 comment)
- Investigation could not prove grass roof was to blame for Walney school insect bites (3 comments)
- Cumbria residents air their concerns about Barrow turbine plans (9 comments)
- Driver delays in Barrow (1 comment)
- Walney School roof could be removed (2 comments)
- Pupils trickle back to mite-blighted Walney school (2 comments)
- Barrow residents ‘in fear of leaving homes’ (3 comments)
- Brave Walney pupils meet creepy creatures
- Teenager taken to hospital after being hit by car in Barrow
- Dolphins spotted off Walney coast (1 comment)
- Walney sub-postmaster’s retirement forces office closure (1 comment)
- Delighted Jean looks forward to meal out after cash windfall
- Walney war heritage to be captured on app
- Walney Family Fun Run 2013
- Teens rescued from Walney bridge say ‘sorry’ for sparking 999 drama
- Emergency services called to major incident in Barrow
- Cameras capture excitement as Walney fun run fever mounts (2 comments)
- New Barrow council guidelines mooted to deal with Traveller camps
- Barrow Council in bid to evict travellers from Walney after complaints (31 comments)
- Tears of joy as Walney School pupils' mum told results
- Injured Walney cyclist taken to hospital after fall
- Barrow war veteran donates 90th birthday cash to lifeboat service
- Man fined £100 after Walney Traveller site scuffle
Evening Mail homepage
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Family Notices
- Competition rules
- Advertise with us
- Reader Travel
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans