Walney School girl Eleanor’s poster in district final
Last updated at 16:49, Monday, 03 December 2012
ASK most people for their most fervent wish and there is a fair chance the majority would answer world peace.
But as nice a sentiment as that is, only a select few people genuinely have an opportunity to influence world affairs.
Eleanor Harvey – a year nine student at Walney School – is gradually getting closer than most to doing just that.
She is the first student within the Furness Lions Club’s catchment area to make it into the district final of a peace poster competition.
The worldwide competition has been running for 25 years and in March she will compete against 12 others in the UK and Ireland final. Should she succeed there then an international final and lucrative bursary courtesy of Lions International awaits.
The theme of this year’s event, which is only open to children aged between 11 and 13, was ‘imagine peace’ and Furness Lions Club president Ted Rockley said Eleanor’s entry was a stand-out.
First published at 16:32, Monday, 03 December 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Police warn Furness householders
- Police warn Furness householders
- Dad comes to the aid of flood-hit Walney nursery
- New name for Walney coastguard in wake of change (6 comments)
- Cumbria County Council election
- Walney coastguard to return to action after dispute (2 comments)
- Women have lucky escape after being caught out by South Cumbria tides (1 comment)
- Motorist clocked speeding at 90mph on 30mph part of Walney road (13 comments)
- Bereaved Walney mum’s cardiomyopathy campaign
- Caring Walney girl bakes for Furness hospital
- Rogue trader targeted Walney pensioners
- Walney students step into their own Crime Scene Investigation
- Walney Coastguard volunteers in revolt over service’s safety (7 comments)
- New motorcycling Walney vicar
- Walney carnival to go ahead thanks to mum
- Hercules is Walney circus thriller
- Walney Channel boat graveyard concerns (5 comments)
- Barrow worker falsely claimed £30k-plus in benefits (5 comments)
- Walney circus sound system stolen
- Man was warned to stop Walney boat salvage
- Walney windfarm could be world’s largest (8 comments)
- Jet-ski ‘trauma’ for Walney seals
- Masons help Walney boy Bailey take road to freedom
- Construction equipment stolen from site of former Barrow school
- Walney church supporters close ranks against attackers
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012