Popular fun run to return with new 10.2k challenge
Last updated at 09:51, Tuesday, 06 March 2012
A HUGELY successful fun run is set to return in the summer with organisers vowing the event will be “even bigger and better”.
Last year’s Walney Offshore Windfarms’ Energy for Life – Walney Fun Run saw hundreds of people don their trainers and tracksuits and take on a 5.1km run along the shores of Walney.
A host of other activities and entertainment on the day saw a total of more than 1,000 people attend the event, which raised money for community group Friends of Walney.
Following on from the success of the first fun run, the Evening Mail is proud to announce details of this year’s run, set to take place on June 17.
The bar has been raised this year with the introduction of a 10.2km run – which signifies the 102 turbines installed as part of Walney Offshore Windfarm.
The Evening Mail’s commercial director, Frank Stretton, said he was confident the run would be “even bigger and better” than last year.
Mr Stretton said: “At last year’s event, the length of 5.1km was to represent the 51 turbines completed as part of the first phase of Walney Offshore Windfarm; now the development is completed, with 102 turbines, we decided to add a second, longer run to offer more of a challenge.”
A series of free, twice-weekly training sessions will begin on March 26 with more details to be announced in the Evening Mail nearer the time.
This year’s fun run is once more sponsored by Walney Offshore Windfarms and supported by Barrow Borough Council, Friends of Walney, the Park Leisure Centre and the Evening Mail.
Mr Stretton added: “It will be even bigger and better than last year; more activities and more events. Last year’s run was in September but we decided to move it to June this year so that there would be more chance of better weather.”
First published at 13:11, Thursday, 01 March 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow council to recover costs of beached car removal (1 comment)
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- PHOTOS: Walney Energy for Life fun run attracts hundreds of runners
- Families ready to tackle 5k Walney run
- Hundreds of people are ready for fifth Walney fun run
- Safety concerns over car abandoned on Walney beach (12 comments)
- Club hoping to buy bowling green as Walney pub goes on market (4 comments)
- Teenager needed stitches after Walney assault, man arrested
- Thomas The Tank Engine’s birthday has special significance for Cumbria (1 comment)
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue (1 comment)
- Volunteers pick up 328kg of litter from Walney beauty spot
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Walney pupils rally round to tackle grot spot
- ‘Grassland pioneers’ to be attracted by Walney dunes work
- Walney seagull enjoys Moroccan holiday (2 comments)
- Antlers found on Walney beach could be up to 20,000 years old - expert (3 comments)
- Tributes to Walney pensioner (2 comments)
- Barrow mum took £19k dream wedding cash from daughter (8 comments)
- ‘Bronze age’ stag’s head is a find for former Walney pub landlord
- Barrow police still investigating rape allegation
- Making others happy always comes first for selfless Barrow boy
- Barrow summer ice show (2 comments)
- Barrow Police appeal after horses set loose on Walney
- ‘Son would be dead if we’d stuck with FGH’ - Barrow mum (13 comments)