Popular fun run to return with new 10.2k challenge
Last updated at 09:51, Tuesday, 06 March 2012
A HUGELY successful fun run is set to return in the summer with organisers vowing the event will be “even bigger and better”.
Last year’s Walney Offshore Windfarms’ Energy for Life – Walney Fun Run saw hundreds of people don their trainers and tracksuits and take on a 5.1km run along the shores of Walney.
A host of other activities and entertainment on the day saw a total of more than 1,000 people attend the event, which raised money for community group Friends of Walney.
Following on from the success of the first fun run, the Evening Mail is proud to announce details of this year’s run, set to take place on June 17.
The bar has been raised this year with the introduction of a 10.2km run – which signifies the 102 turbines installed as part of Walney Offshore Windfarm.
The Evening Mail’s commercial director, Frank Stretton, said he was confident the run would be “even bigger and better” than last year.
Mr Stretton said: “At last year’s event, the length of 5.1km was to represent the 51 turbines completed as part of the first phase of Walney Offshore Windfarm; now the development is completed, with 102 turbines, we decided to add a second, longer run to offer more of a challenge.”
A series of free, twice-weekly training sessions will begin on March 26 with more details to be announced in the Evening Mail nearer the time.
This year’s fun run is once more sponsored by Walney Offshore Windfarms and supported by Barrow Borough Council, Friends of Walney, the Park Leisure Centre and the Evening Mail.
Mr Stretton added: “It will be even bigger and better than last year; more activities and more events. Last year’s run was in September but we decided to move it to June this year so that there would be more chance of better weather.”
First published at 13:11, Thursday, 01 March 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Police warn Furness householders
- Police warn Furness householders
- Dad comes to the aid of flood-hit Walney nursery
- New name for Walney coastguard in wake of change (6 comments)
- Cumbria County Council election
- Walney coastguard to return to action after dispute (2 comments)
- Women have lucky escape after being caught out by South Cumbria tides (1 comment)
- Motorist clocked speeding at 90mph on 30mph part of Walney road (13 comments)
- Bereaved Walney mum’s cardiomyopathy campaign
- Caring Walney girl bakes for Furness hospital
- Rogue trader targeted Walney pensioners
- Walney students step into their own Crime Scene Investigation
- Walney Coastguard volunteers in revolt over service’s safety (7 comments)
- New motorcycling Walney vicar
- Walney carnival to go ahead thanks to mum
- Hercules is Walney circus thriller
- Walney Channel boat graveyard concerns (5 comments)
- Barrow worker falsely claimed £30k-plus in benefits (5 comments)
- Walney circus sound system stolen
- Man was warned to stop Walney boat salvage
- Walney windfarm could be world’s largest (8 comments)
- Jet-ski ‘trauma’ for Walney seals
- Masons help Walney boy Bailey take road to freedom
- Construction equipment stolen from site of former Barrow school
- Walney church supporters close ranks against attackers
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012