Ice causes treacherous conditions for Cumbria
Last updated at 10:20, Tuesday, 21 February 2012
CRASHES littered Cumbrian roads as they turned to ice rinks in freezing conditions.
More than 100 incidents were reported in the county as lorries jack-knifed, cars slid off the road and vehicles collided.
The big freeze began on Wednesday evening.
Kath Smith, 45, was on the way from Kirksanton to Millom on the A5093 at 9.45pm when she slid off the road and crashed into a field.
She and her son Simon, 19, from Millom, survived unscathed.
She said: “We took out a signpost and went over a hedge. We are all right, I am more in shock than anything else.”
Unluckily her Peugeot 307 was not so fortunate and would be an insurance write off, she said.
The chaos continued yesterday morning, with major delays on the A590 near Lindale after jack-knifed lorries blocked the westbound carriageway.
On the A5093, a white van smashed into a car that flipped over and landed on its roof about 8.15am near The Hill.
At 10.50am the A591 was closed as firefighters helped two people from a car involved in a crash near the Cedar Manor Hotel, near Windermere.
A man complaining of pain in his arms and chest and a pregnant woman were taken to Royal Lancaster Infirmary, but were not believed to be seriously injured.
The A591 was closed between Windermere and Ambleside, but reopened about 12.35pm.
Delays were caused on the A590 at the Melton Brow roundabout at around 4pm yesterday when two cars collided.
The accident involved a Ford Ka and Honda Civic. The occupant of one of the cars was given treatment for minor chest pains.
Police said people should be extremely careful in the icy conditions, especially on minor routes.
They said there were no reports of serious injuries in yesterday’s crashes.
First published at 13:16, Friday, 10 February 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Cheetah is spotted among young Barrow fun runners
- Cheetah is spotted among young Barrow fun runners
- Barrow dad stays positive despite losing daughter and now diagnosed with incurable disease (12 comments)
- Barrow pensioner lost feeling in his hand after fall (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Walney Gala (2 comments)
- Walney Fun Run - slideshow and results
- Drivers in Cumbria warned of delays as Tour de France passes county
- Vandal attack on daughter’s grave devastates Barrow couple (4 comments)
- Walney residents fear losing homes as sea defence delayed again (1 comment)
- Barrow school greenhouse made from plastic bottles
- Walney School set to become a sponsored academy
- Child hospitalised after car rolls onto its roof in Barrow crash
- Walney pupils praised for their WW1 memorial garden
- Go-ahead given to construct sea defences on battered Barrow coast
- Walney windfarm extenstion to create hundreds of jobs
- End in sight for motorists after Walney bridge repair work
- Walney bridge closure roadworks under way (5 comments)
- Urgent action called for in Walney erosion battle (2 comments)
- Cumbria first as Barrow school takes in two-year-olds (1 comment)
- Warning to walkers after needles found on Barrow beach (1 comment)
- Hundreds join mission to make Barrow girl’s Disney dream come true
- ‘Love of learning’ earns praise from Ofsted for Barrow infant school
- Ancient antlers and medieval channels uncovered in Barrow storms
- Birds face breeding problems after Walney island site hit by floods (1 comment)
- Crew tackle fire in the open on Walney
- Walney residents braced for high tide as work on sea defences stalls