French family seeking a house swap in Furness
Last updated at 16:28, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
WANTED: one Barrovian family to spend a year in the idyllic countryside surrounds of a charming southern France village.
If this “opportunité magnifique” piques your interest – and why wouldn’t it? – then a sabbatical-seeking former Barrow resident is desperate to hear from you.
In 1998, a twist of fate saw Faith Adams meet and fall in love with Frenchman Christophe Gonzalez while on a camping trip near Biarritz.
Now, 14 years and two children later, the happy couple are looking for a temporary transfer back to Barrow so Dexter, 9, and Clarisse, 7, can keep in touch with their British heritage.
“Our utmost reason for spending a sabbatical year in Barrow is to learn more about British culture,” Ms Adams, a former Greengate School pupil, said.
The family lives in a small village of 800 people about 12 miles outside of Montelimar in the south of France, where Ms Adams is an English as a Second Language teacher and Mr Gonzalez is a policeman.
The region is noted for its hiking trails and cycling routes and, with its central location, is only a short drive from some of the country’s famous wine routes and ski slopes.
Ms Adams is hoping to find a suitable family in Barrow to house swap with for a full 12 months starting in August.
“We would love to swap with responsible people willing to experience a cultural exchange,” she said.
“As an English-speaking person I’ll be looking for a job in Barrow, whereas my husband will be looking after our children and bettering his use of the language.
“Anyone willing to exchange with us would have to be an independent employee working from home, or retired and free to visit the region.”
The family is no stranger to Furness, having made regular trips across the English Channel to visit family and friends.
“Our children love the numerous parks and my husband enjoys the geographical situation with its proximity to the Lakes, which he finds breathtakingly beautiful even when the weather is completely abysmal.”
To express your interest, or for more information, contact Ms Adams via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
First published at 16:20, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
End in sight for motorists after Walney bridge repair work
- End in sight for motorists after Walney bridge repair work
- Walney bridge closure roadworks under way (5 comments)
- Urgent action called for in Walney erosion battle (2 comments)
- Cumbria first as Barrow school takes in two-year-olds
- Warning to walkers after needles found on Barrow beach (1 comment)
- Hundreds join mission to make Barrow girl’s Disney dream come true
- ‘Love of learning’ earns praise from Ofsted for Barrow infant school
- Ancient antlers and medieval channels uncovered in Barrow storms
- Birds face breeding problems after Walney island site hit by floods (1 comment)
- Crew tackle fire in the open on Walney
- Walney residents braced for high tide as work on sea defences stalls
- Walney Island residents join together to save threatened bus route (8 comments)
- Friends plan 150-mile ride to support Ulverston couple who lost baby
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- UPDATE 11.45am: Rescue team's warning ahead of possible Walney flooding (5 comments)
- Cooking up an evening to bring Barrow generations together
- Walney beach clean team finds toys, a for-sale sign and half a boat (4 comments)
- Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured (1 comment)
- Keen volunteers join forces to clean area of Walney swamped by floods
- Walney headteacher’s bid to unlock potential of school in special measures (5 comments)
- Investigation launched into BT engineer’s fall from pole in Barrow
- Barrow council's deputy leader calls for urgent action over hole
- Engineer falls from Barrow telegraph pole - airlifted to Preston hospital (7 comments)
- Walney residents refuse to quit battered homes
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
Evening Mail homepage
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans