Last days for hulk of old steelworks
Published at 13:11, Friday, 22 July 2011
WALNEY’S Alan Williamson got in touch with some more detail on a picture from Brian Moxham’s new book of Barrow pictures which featured in the Mail (July 8).
The picture taken from Barrow-in-Furness In My Life was taken from Cemetery Hill in August 1981 as the wrecking crews got to work.
Just the frame of the main steelworks building survives as its metal cladding is removed.
Mr Williamson said the main building held the continuous casting plant and there were brick buildings close by where science labs did quality tests on the Barrow steel.
In the area where the Owl and the Pussycat pub now stands were a mass of rail tracks and marshalling yards.
Towards the right of the picture is an old cooling tower
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Family fun at Walney Gala
- Family fun at Walney Gala
- Walney pupils have their say on vision for £50k play park (1 comment)
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow council to recover costs of beached car removal (1 comment)
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- PHOTOS: Walney Energy for Life fun run attracts hundreds of runners
- Families ready to tackle 5k Walney run
- Hundreds of people are ready for fifth Walney fun run
- Safety concerns over car abandoned on Walney beach (12 comments)
- Club hoping to buy bowling green as Walney pub goes on market (4 comments)
- Teenager needed stitches after Walney assault, man arrested
- Thomas The Tank Engine’s birthday has special significance for Cumbria (1 comment)
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue (1 comment)
- Volunteers pick up 328kg of litter from Walney beauty spot
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Walney pupils rally round to tackle grot spot
- ‘Grassland pioneers’ to be attracted by Walney dunes work
- Walney seagull enjoys Moroccan holiday (2 comments)
- Antlers found on Walney beach could be up to 20,000 years old - expert (3 comments)
- Tributes to Walney pensioner (2 comments)
- Barrow mum took £19k dream wedding cash from daughter (8 comments)
- ‘Bronze age’ stag’s head is a find for former Walney pub landlord
- Barrow police still investigating rape allegation
- Making others happy always comes first for selfless Barrow boy
- Barrow summer ice show (2 comments)