Last days for hulk of old steelworks
Published at 13:11, Friday, 22 July 2011
WALNEY’S Alan Williamson got in touch with some more detail on a picture from Brian Moxham’s new book of Barrow pictures which featured in the Mail (July 8).
The picture taken from Barrow-in-Furness In My Life was taken from Cemetery Hill in August 1981 as the wrecking crews got to work.
Just the frame of the main steelworks building survives as its metal cladding is removed.
Mr Williamson said the main building held the continuous casting plant and there were brick buildings close by where science labs did quality tests on the Barrow steel.
In the area where the Owl and the Pussycat pub now stands were a mass of rail tracks and marshalling yards.
Towards the right of the picture is an old cooling tower
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Tributes flow for Walney ‘priest, mentor and guide’
- Tributes flow for Walney ‘priest, mentor and guide’
- Police warn Furness householders
- Dad comes to the aid of flood-hit Walney nursery
- New name for Walney coastguard in wake of change (6 comments)
- Cumbria County Council election
- Walney coastguard to return to action after dispute (2 comments)
- Women have lucky escape after being caught out by South Cumbria tides (1 comment)
- Motorist clocked speeding at 90mph on 30mph part of Walney road (13 comments)
- Bereaved Walney mum’s cardiomyopathy campaign
- Caring Walney girl bakes for Furness hospital
- Rogue trader targeted Walney pensioners
- Walney students step into their own Crime Scene Investigation
- Walney Coastguard volunteers in revolt over service’s safety (7 comments)
- New motorcycling Walney vicar
- Walney carnival to go ahead thanks to mum
- Hercules is Walney circus thriller
- Walney Channel boat graveyard concerns (5 comments)
- Barrow worker falsely claimed £30k-plus in benefits (5 comments)
- Walney circus sound system stolen
- Man was warned to stop Walney boat salvage
- Walney windfarm could be world’s largest (8 comments)
- Jet-ski ‘trauma’ for Walney seals
- Masons help Walney boy Bailey take road to freedom
- Construction equipment stolen from site of former Barrow school
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
Evening Mail homepage