Last days for hulk of old steelworks
Published at 13:11, Friday, 22 July 2011
WALNEY’S Alan Williamson got in touch with some more detail on a picture from Brian Moxham’s new book of Barrow pictures which featured in the Mail (July 8).
The picture taken from Barrow-in-Furness In My Life was taken from Cemetery Hill in August 1981 as the wrecking crews got to work.
Just the frame of the main steelworks building survives as its metal cladding is removed.
Mr Williamson said the main building held the continuous casting plant and there were brick buildings close by where science labs did quality tests on the Barrow steel.
In the area where the Owl and the Pussycat pub now stands were a mass of rail tracks and marshalling yards.
Towards the right of the picture is an old cooling tower
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Large buoy washed up on Walney
- Large buoy washed up on Walney
- Delight as work starts on Walney sea defence (1 comment)
- Barrow OAP claims pavement remains a trip hazard (3 comments)
- Staffie muzzle order after fatal Barrow dog attack (26 comments)
- Steps taken in bid to boost Barrow school in special measures
- Walney Island’s much-loved wildlife haven is set for a spruce-up
- Islands could be built in Morecambe Bay as part of Barrow to Heysham tunnel project (3 comments)
- Cumbria suicide dad left cash for loved ones
- Barrow Police hunt Walney chocolate thief
- Barrow Police and coastguard respond to incident near Walney Airfield
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (29 comments)
- Cumbria coast oil spill unlikely to cause problems - expert
- Volunteers old and very young make a clean sweep of Walney beach
- Demands for action over asbestos fear in Barrow (2 comments)
- Cheetah is spotted among young Barrow fun runners
- Barrow dad stays positive despite losing daughter and now diagnosed with incurable disease (12 comments)
- Barrow pensioner lost feeling in his hand after fall (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Walney Gala (2 comments)
- Walney Fun Run - slideshow and results
- Drivers in Cumbria warned of delays as Tour de France passes county
- Vandal attack on daughter’s grave devastates Barrow couple (4 comments)
- Walney residents fear losing homes as sea defence delayed again (1 comment)
- Barrow school greenhouse made from plastic bottles
- Walney School set to become a sponsored academy
- Child hospitalised after car rolls onto its roof in Barrow crash