Last days for hulk of old steelworks
Published at 13:11, Friday, 22 July 2011
WALNEY’S Alan Williamson got in touch with some more detail on a picture from Brian Moxham’s new book of Barrow pictures which featured in the Mail (July 8).
The picture taken from Barrow-in-Furness In My Life was taken from Cemetery Hill in August 1981 as the wrecking crews got to work.
Just the frame of the main steelworks building survives as its metal cladding is removed.
Mr Williamson said the main building held the continuous casting plant and there were brick buildings close by where science labs did quality tests on the Barrow steel.
In the area where the Owl and the Pussycat pub now stands were a mass of rail tracks and marshalling yards.
Towards the right of the picture is an old cooling tower
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Antlers found on Walney beach could be up to 20,000 years old - expert
- Antlers found on Walney beach could be up to 20,000 years old - expert (3 comments)
- Tributes to Walney pensioner (2 comments)
- Barrow mum took £19k dream wedding cash from daughter (8 comments)
- ‘Bronze age’ stag’s head is a find for former Walney pub landlord
- Barrow police still investigating rape allegation
- Making others happy always comes first for selfless Barrow boy
- Barrow summer ice show (2 comments)
- Barrow Police appeal after horses set loose on Walney
- ‘Son would be dead if we’d stuck with FGH’ - Barrow mum (13 comments)
- Lifesaving volunteer team put forward for community award
- Hopes high that road will stop erosion splitting Walney in two (4 comments)
- Permission granted for Walney windfarm development (7 comments)
- Beached buoy removed from Walney (4 comments)
- Large buoy washed up on Walney
- Delight as work starts on Walney sea defence (1 comment)
- Barrow OAP claims pavement remains a trip hazard (3 comments)
- Staffie muzzle order after fatal Barrow dog attack (26 comments)
- Steps taken in bid to boost Barrow school in special measures
- Walney Island’s much-loved wildlife haven is set for a spruce-up
- Islands could be built in Morecambe Bay as part of Barrow to Heysham tunnel project (5 comments)
- Cumbria suicide dad left cash for loved ones
- Barrow Police hunt Walney chocolate thief
- Barrow Police and coastguard respond to incident near Walney Airfield
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (29 comments)
- Cumbria coast oil spill unlikely to cause problems - expert