Land of the painlookers
Published at 13:17, Monday, 02 January 2012
THIS strange story of ‘painlookers’ and ‘sackings’ was last told 50 years ago to mark a revamp of the Queen’s Arms at Biggar.
The Evening Mail of 1961 noted: “The first tenant to obtain a licence was a John Tyson, who bought the farm just before 1854 and got the licence in 1866.
“At that time it became known as The Letters – a general term used for a house selling beer or ale – but not adopting a definite sign.
“The title Queen’s Arms was adopted about 1869.”
These are only recent events in the long history of the buildings.
Looking much further back the article noted: “Occasional references may still be heard to the Mayor and Corporation of Biggar – a humorous phrase referring to a 700-year-old custom.
“At one time officials responsible for the good conduct of the village were drawn from the tenants. They were known as Painlookers.
“The Queen’s was the town hall for them, whose head man was called the Grave.
“The annual Grave’s Meeting was held in a small room at the inn until manorial courts were abolished.
“Another curious custom peculiar to Biggar, was that of ‘sacking’.
“When a young man from outside courted a young woman of the hamlet, the men, armed with a large sack, would waylay him.
“If he failed to provide money for ale he was tied in the sack which was hung from a beam in a barn adjoining the inn.
“The custom was last observed in about 1854 when Jimmy Wilson, a Cartmel shoemaker, was ‘sacked’.
“Proceedings before the Ulverston magistrates followed and put an end to the custom.
“Far more pleasant were the sporting and social occasions at the inn.
“Typical of these was a pigeon shooting contest held in 1870 for a first prize of £10 and followed by a ball in the evening when 80 sat down for tea at midnight and dancing continued to the early hours.
“Dances were popular for years at the Queen’s, often continuing until dawn.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
End in sight for motorists after Walney bridge repair work
- End in sight for motorists after Walney bridge repair work
- Walney bridge closure roadworks under way (5 comments)
- Urgent action called for in Walney erosion battle (2 comments)
- Cumbria first as Barrow school takes in two-year-olds
- Warning to walkers after needles found on Barrow beach (1 comment)
- Hundreds join mission to make Barrow girl’s Disney dream come true
- ‘Love of learning’ earns praise from Ofsted for Barrow infant school
- Ancient antlers and medieval channels uncovered in Barrow storms
- Birds face breeding problems after Walney island site hit by floods (1 comment)
- Crew tackle fire in the open on Walney
- Walney residents braced for high tide as work on sea defences stalls
- Walney Island residents join together to save threatened bus route (8 comments)
- Friends plan 150-mile ride to support Ulverston couple who lost baby
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- UPDATE 11.45am: Rescue team's warning ahead of possible Walney flooding (5 comments)
- Cooking up an evening to bring Barrow generations together
- Walney beach clean team finds toys, a for-sale sign and half a boat (4 comments)
- Funding for Cumbria wide CCTV system secured (1 comment)
- Keen volunteers join forces to clean area of Walney swamped by floods
- Walney headteacher’s bid to unlock potential of school in special measures (5 comments)
- Investigation launched into BT engineer’s fall from pole in Barrow
- Barrow council's deputy leader calls for urgent action over hole
- Engineer falls from Barrow telegraph pole - airlifted to Preston hospital (7 comments)
- Walney residents refuse to quit battered homes
- Heavy rain set to hit Cumbria today
Evening Mail homepage
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans