Furness patients help others with own web films
Last updated at 14:56, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
PATIENTS living with debilitating disabilities, illnesses or injuries are being called upon to help others cope with the same conditions
It comes as part of an innovative new project launched by Walney doctor, Muhammad Farhan Amin.
A partner at Burnett Edgar Medical Centre in Central Drive, Dr Amin is working independently on the scheme; a website via which patients can share their experiences.
He wants people to film themselves giving tips and advice, forming a huge network of support for as many different types of patients as possible. The idea came to Dr Amin in July 2010, while waiting for a flight from Dubai to Newcastle in the early hours of the morning. He said: “Next to me was an elderly man sitting and continuously writing in his notebook. After two hours, I finally asked him what he was writing.”
The man told Dr Amin he had Parkinson’s disease and people used to stare at him because of his tremors.
But, realising his hands did not shake as much when he wrote, he had started writing whenever he was in public. He said it had changed his life and he enjoyed going out again.
Inspired by this story, Dr Amin realised the value patients’ experiences and solutions could have for others.
He said: “People who experience certain conditions or injuries may have been left with physical or emotional difficulties, but can overcome them to be able to live happily. The aim is to give people inspiration and hope, to show them someone can go through what they’re going through and come out the other end still enjoying things.”
Dr Amin launched www.patientmemoirs.com on Thursday.
Videos already featured include accounts of life after a stroke, with bowel cancer and with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, plus coping with a knee replacement, arthritis and an Achilles injury.
Dr Amin now wants as many people as possible to make their own videos and either upload them to the website or email them in.
To get the ball rolling, and for those who struggle with technology, he has set up some recording sessions next week in the afternoon on Monday, Wednesdayand Thursday and the mornings of Tuesday and Friday .
He also has appointments available for various dates between Monday January 14 and Friday 25.
Those who want to send in a video or book a recording slot should email email@example.com or call 07415 975 830.
First published at 17:09, Monday, 07 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Barrow summer ice show
- Barrow summer ice show (2 comments)
- Barrow Police appeal after horses set loose on Walney
- ‘Son would be dead if we’d stuck with FGH’ - Barrow mum (12 comments)
- Lifesaving volunteer team put forward for community award
- Hopes high that road will stop erosion splitting Walney in two (4 comments)
- Permission granted for Walney windfarm development (7 comments)
- Beached buoy removed from Walney (4 comments)
- Large buoy washed up on Walney
- Delight as work starts on Walney sea defence (1 comment)
- Barrow OAP claims pavement remains a trip hazard (3 comments)
- Staffie muzzle order after fatal Barrow dog attack (26 comments)
- Steps taken in bid to boost Barrow school in special measures
- Walney Island’s much-loved wildlife haven is set for a spruce-up
- Islands could be built in Morecambe Bay as part of Barrow to Heysham tunnel project (4 comments)
- Cumbria suicide dad left cash for loved ones
- Barrow Police hunt Walney chocolate thief
- Barrow Police and coastguard respond to incident near Walney Airfield
- Action group formed to fight Barrow road being closed to vehicles (29 comments)
- Cumbria coast oil spill unlikely to cause problems - expert
- Volunteers old and very young make a clean sweep of Walney beach
- Demands for action over asbestos fear in Barrow (2 comments)
- Cheetah is spotted among young Barrow fun runners
- Barrow dad stays positive despite losing daughter and now diagnosed with incurable disease (12 comments)
- Barrow pensioner lost feeling in his hand after fall (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Walney Gala (2 comments)