Furness patients help others with own web films
Last updated at 14:56, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
PATIENTS living with debilitating disabilities, illnesses or injuries are being called upon to help others cope with the same conditions
It comes as part of an innovative new project launched by Walney doctor, Muhammad Farhan Amin.
A partner at Burnett Edgar Medical Centre in Central Drive, Dr Amin is working independently on the scheme; a website via which patients can share their experiences.
He wants people to film themselves giving tips and advice, forming a huge network of support for as many different types of patients as possible. The idea came to Dr Amin in July 2010, while waiting for a flight from Dubai to Newcastle in the early hours of the morning. He said: “Next to me was an elderly man sitting and continuously writing in his notebook. After two hours, I finally asked him what he was writing.”
The man told Dr Amin he had Parkinson’s disease and people used to stare at him because of his tremors.
But, realising his hands did not shake as much when he wrote, he had started writing whenever he was in public. He said it had changed his life and he enjoyed going out again.
Inspired by this story, Dr Amin realised the value patients’ experiences and solutions could have for others.
He said: “People who experience certain conditions or injuries may have been left with physical or emotional difficulties, but can overcome them to be able to live happily. The aim is to give people inspiration and hope, to show them someone can go through what they’re going through and come out the other end still enjoying things.”
Dr Amin launched www.patientmemoirs.com on Thursday.
Videos already featured include accounts of life after a stroke, with bowel cancer and with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, plus coping with a knee replacement, arthritis and an Achilles injury.
Dr Amin now wants as many people as possible to make their own videos and either upload them to the website or email them in.
To get the ball rolling, and for those who struggle with technology, he has set up some recording sessions next week in the afternoon on Monday, Wednesdayand Thursday and the mornings of Tuesday and Friday .
He also has appointments available for various dates between Monday January 14 and Friday 25.
Those who want to send in a video or book a recording slot should email email@example.com or call 07415 975 830.
First published at 17:09, Monday, 07 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Family fun at Walney Gala
- Family fun at Walney Gala
- Walney pupils have their say on vision for £50k play park (1 comment)
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow council to recover costs of beached car removal (1 comment)
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- PHOTOS: Walney Energy for Life fun run attracts hundreds of runners
- Families ready to tackle 5k Walney run
- Hundreds of people are ready for fifth Walney fun run
- Safety concerns over car abandoned on Walney beach (12 comments)
- Club hoping to buy bowling green as Walney pub goes on market (4 comments)
- Teenager needed stitches after Walney assault, man arrested
- Thomas The Tank Engine’s birthday has special significance for Cumbria (1 comment)
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue (1 comment)
- Volunteers pick up 328kg of litter from Walney beauty spot
- Barrow, South Lakes and Copeland voters share their views
- Walney pupils rally round to tackle grot spot
- ‘Grassland pioneers’ to be attracted by Walney dunes work
- Walney seagull enjoys Moroccan holiday (2 comments)
- Antlers found on Walney beach could be up to 20,000 years old - expert (3 comments)
- Tributes to Walney pensioner (2 comments)
- Barrow mum took £19k dream wedding cash from daughter (8 comments)
- ‘Bronze age’ stag’s head is a find for former Walney pub landlord
- Barrow police still investigating rape allegation
- Making others happy always comes first for selfless Barrow boy
- Barrow summer ice show (2 comments)